Sunday, January 16, 2011

candlelight hike


we recently attended the candlelight hike ski & snowshoe event at governor dodge state park. A 2 mile ski path was lined with little paper lanterns. There were also a few ice lanterns, which looked especially neat. I think that I will try to create my own ice lanterns this winter.

There was very little snow, so most people just hiked. We put Reed in the stroller to keep him warm, but no one really got cold.

Afterwards there was a large bonfire for roasting marshmallows. Cookies and hot chocolate were available by donation. My kids, like children everywhere, enjoy cooking things over the fire.

Winter hiking is fun, but winter hiking at night is even better.
This activity showed me that my kids can hike 3 miles in the snow without getting tired or complaining, as long as there is hot chocolate and marshmallows at the end.

No comments: