Tuesday, December 15, 2009

fantastic children

So I try to be conscience of the things I eat, mostly from a social justice and environmental perspective. I heard of a study that showed that women in the US who drank cows milk (which includes growth hormone) had twins at twice the rate of their english counterparts, whose cows' milk contained no growth hormone.
This is one study, so I need more information before tossing out the cow's milk; there is a huge genetic role in twinning, so that affects the results as well. Cows' milk also has a huge carbon footprint, though I do not believe it to be especially inhumane; I also believe it is disgusting for us here in the richest country on earth to spend lots of money on organic and special food when billions live on less than a dollar a day. I believe that organic food is elitist and that one day we will answer for our wanton waste of resources and selfish consumption.

I was discussing this with my husband, (who tried to name one our youngest child after comic book hero Mr. Fantastic 's alias Reed Richard), because I like him to feel that his opinions are validated, and he said;

"Well, if just having twins is the only risk, I mean maybe it could be a good thing. Perhaps our future children will have the ability to regenerate, or read minds, or we could graft steel onto their bones and then they could all fight crime"

Well, that's it. Bring on the dairy.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Yes, the ability to regenerate would be cool! This is a great post!

Awesome Mom said...

Eh, most milk here does not use the hormones at all any more. They were forced to label if they use it or not and even the stuff I buy at Walmart says that they do not use the hormone. I am glad because I do not want twins and kids that could go invisible would be a nightmare to raise.

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.