Wednesday, December 9, 2009

snow!!!

We got 12 inches of snow in the last 24 hours. Before this snowfall, we had 2 inches on the ground, so virutally all of this is new snow. This snow is fairly wet and heavy. Notice how the trees are weighed down. It is relatively warm, about 25-30 degrees.








Though I dislike driving in the snow, I have retained my childhood enthusiasm for the white stuff. Shoveling it is an adventure. Tromping through it is a challenge.( ran 3 miles this morning!). I have more fun pulling my kids around in sled than they do! Last night I pulled Maddie home from her playdate. It is the most wonderful time of the year!
I love to make snow forts. I also love sandcastles, but snow is so much more versatile! It is like fluffy white playdough. My favorite trick is to spray water on a creation, then let it freeze overnight. Snow sculpting has become more enjoyable as my children have grown old enough to assist in my endeavors and even to contribute themselves.
Martin made a tower today all by himself, he even thought of using the plant pots as molds for the bricks. It is white (the color of snow) so it is sort of hard to see in the picture.
Martin is currently working on his fort which is the first of two that we are making for snowball fights. Benjamin plays snowball fights with the kids. Each team gets a fort, then they throw snow at eachother. Generally they just throw snow at Benjamin because he lets them, and that way nobody cries.
Most of the fun is in the fort construction and stockpiling snowballs.
We love the snow!!!!!!!!

Here is a picture of Maddie wearing her new headband which she doesn't like to wear.
I plan to let her pick out the next flower head band.

1 comment:

Lena Gilbert said...

WOw, that is a lot of snow. I love maddie's flower headband. I will have to make her some more.