Monday, August 17, 2009

Library Time- the video game problem

We have some great local libraries.

In addition to books, there are play areas. Caleb and Maddie played with the toy kitchen for a long time.

Reed watched them.













Martin played too,
but he spent most of his time playing on the library computers.

I HATE the library computers in the kids' area. We go to the library less frequently because of them. Our first strategy was to go the library but not do computers. My kids would watch other kids play, which was the same thing. I couldn't read to the kdis or help them get books because Martin and Maddie would sneak onto the computer. It made library time difficult, but overall worked out alright.
Our current strategy is to only have computer time at the library. That way I can read to the kids and help them get books without having to constantly tell Martin to get off the computer.

I hope we can teach Martin to use his time wisely.
This is my job; raise the kids. So I get to help him avoid video game addiction.

VIDEO GAME ADDICTION
I once heard a podcast about addiction, and Its premise was that addictions start and can be prevented young. It said that alchoholics began drinking on average at age 13.

At what age, I wonder, are video game addicts formed? perhaps the stereotypical video game playing nerdy middleschooler is not as innocent as we would imagine.

That being said, there is a world of difference in degree. I know lots of people who recreate responsibly with electronic games. It really is a social skill that boys need to develope.

The people with actual 'problems' I suspect, would have trouble without their videogames. It is the addictive personality. Some take this as an excuse "video games are better than crack-cocaine!". True. However My kids isn't going to have either problem.

He is going to have a moderate supervised childhood, and will neither suffer from 8 hours of video games a day nor from a 'Mother' who would let him play video games for 8 hours a day.






1 comment:

Heidi said...

I have the same problem at the library! Jackson has just discovered these video games, and so now we have to make rules about whether the library is going to be video game day or not. It's so hard and I commiserate with you. Sometimes if I have to think about all the things I have to do as a mom to make sure my kids are active, happy, smart contributing members of society, I get so overwhelmed. You are a great mom! Good luck!