Friday, January 22, 2010

firefly obsession

lifecycle of an obsession as illustrated by my latest craze, Joss Whedon's Firefly.......

1. watch all of the episodes in earnest.
So done, and you too can join me in this great obsession by going to Hulu.com It is definately pg13, not appropriate for children.

2. visit fan websites and watch fan videos on youtube
this is worth your time even if you are not a fan;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdXkGXD7gDc

3. dress up as the characters
Halloween 2010. I can hardly wait.....

4. harrass friends and family to either locate fellow fans or share the obsession.
See step 1

btw, if you do not like Firefly, please do not tell me. I lost several friends because they didn't think that the series of unfortunate events was the BEST childrens' book series ever.

5. Use taglines and slang from the show in everyday life.
Every year I make myself running tshirts for that year's major races. I also like to make matching shirts for my kids and spouse. This year the gorram shirts might say
"no power in the 'verse can stop me"

shiny.

6. download the themesong
done.

7. Contemplate ways to name potentual future children after the show or its actors.
Kaylie Serenity or
Malcolm Jayne
...Zoe Persephone sounds nice....

8. Check out the actors' current projects.
Nathan Fillion guest starred on season 4 of Desperate Housewives and I watched a few episodes, but I really just kept thinking "how come captain Mal is hanging out on Wisteria lane? where is Inara? Perhaps the great dark secret that they are always worried about is that Mal is harboring a fugitive from the Alliance and is going to expose the truth about Miranda...." and then I got pretty bored after it became apparent that no Reavers where ever going to show up.

The little I have seen of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse has been pretty good.

9. To ensure that this is worthy of my devotion, and not just a passing phase, let a reasonable amount of time elapse, then watch it again, and if it is truly great, repeat steps 1-8

The last step is the real kicker. I have liked a lot of stuff, but found years later that I didn't love it. Such was the case with Twilight. The really great stuff that has stood the test of time is rare, and it is really great. The only thing that can rival my Firefly obsession is my great love of Xfiles. It aired 10pm-2am when I lived in Utah, and I used to happily get up in the middle of the night with my screaming kids because it meant that I got to watch xfiles.

2 comments:

Awesome Mom said...

You crack me up! You need to learn how to knit so that you can knit a Jayne hat.

As an FYI if you want to see Adam Baldwin AKA Jayne in various non related shows he is in Chuck (love that show) and an episode of Stargate: SG1 (I would have to dig through my husband's collection to figure out which episode exactly but it is a very funny short bit of him)

As far as a Series of Unfortunate events goes I am still on the fence about if I like it or not. I am still mulling over the ending all these years later and can't decide if I like how it ended or not.

Also if you like Nathan and Joss you should check out Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. It was rather amusing with a twist ending.

Valerie said...

yeah, dr. horrible's song along is on my to-do list, and I may just learn how to knit, there is a group here that will teach me, and I am pretty motivated. The Series of Unfortunate Events won me over because I felt that the message was that; evil people are everywhere, and just because you are a part of something bad doesn't mean that you are evil yourself. Especialy in the context of children who are abused by adults. I feel that the ending was so well done that it made up for all of the other flaws in the books.