Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mark Pocan infiltrated ALEC

Mark Pocan Infiltrated ALEC a few years back, here are his observations.

That there are not socially conservative causes in ALEC seems to confirm the idea that they really are all about maximizing profits for large corporations. After the legislation comes out of the ALEC, it is then wrapped in a flag and couched in Christian values before it is sold to the American People.

The marketing of this stuff is amazing. Advertising is expensive, and it works. Plenty of people believe this stuff, who are otherwise nice normal people. I believe that once the lies are exposed, that these same people will look at the origins of this agenda, and realize that they have been used.

It is good to have family values, it is good to have personal responsibility and work hard. It is wrong for your elected government to tell you that their legislation is for the good of the people when in actuality it is written by and for the good of large corporations.

Glaxoclinesmith should not write medicaid prescription re-embursement legislation. Koch Industries should not write environmental regulations. Private charter schools should not write school reform. These things are wrong; wrong for every state that adopts these measures, and they are wrong for Wisconsin.

Even if everyone in the state joins the tea party and Walker becomes the president, I will still say this is wrong, because it is. The truth will out; maybe not today or tomorrow, but it will and when it does I am going to be on the right side of history.

2 comments:

Eva's Mom said...

But how do we actually change all of this? Here is my frustration: I don't have big money. So, how do I buy votes? I write to my legislators, but how much of an impact does that actually have? As an educator I have no voice because I have no money. Had I been as successful in business as I have been in teaching, I would have had a voice...because I would have had plenty of money.

Valerie said...

I don't know! but the more people who know about this the better. the ALEC is putting out quite a bit of PR stuff, so they are nervous- which is good. The Wisconsin democracy Campaign is a great resource for ways to be involved- they track campaign contributions- http://www.wisdc.org/