Thursday, March 31, 2011

Personal implications of the Walker agenda

Some who read my blog are tired of the politics being discussed. My entire family, the Valerie, the Ben and the kids are all involved and affected by the current political strife in our state, so its news is our news. Here are some of the ways that the current Walker/ALEC legislation, besides being a morally wrong, and making us physically ill, will affect our lives.

My kids are all doing well at school, my kids will not suffer academically from the cuts to their school funding, I am a full time Mom, and we don't have many special needs. Maddie has been given some help through the Talented and Gifted program TAG, which is being defunded by the state. Her teacher consulted with the TAG coordinator and was given a few workbooks and lesson plans, but even that small amount of help will no longer be available.

I plan to vote April 5th in the spring election, and I generally do not carry ID with me. I plan to vote for candidates that have traditionally been favored by minorities and civil rights advocates. If voter ID is enacted in Wisconsin, it will have an effect on my voting habits. I live across the street from a polling place, but if I forget my license, I will have to travel home, pick it up, and then go back. I have four children, and getting to the polls is already difficult. I can easily imagine that this burden of proof will reduce the number of successful voters, and will not prevent any appreciable amount of voter fraud.

"The hottest place in hell is reserved for those who remain neutral during times of great moral conflict." -Martin Luther King jr.

No comments: