Thursday, February 24, 2011

I used to have respect for republicans.

I just sat in on the Assembly last night, and I now have no respect for our assembly republicans. The Dems introduced a lot of amendments to the state budget 'repair' bill yesterday, and now, 47 hours later, they are going through the process of defending their amendments and then having the republicans vote them down.

I listened to amendments 45-57, they were each proposals to exempt the prison guards at various institutions from the state worker ban on collective bargaining.
The democrats talked about each institution, someone who had actually visited the site talked about its unique needs and the neccessary safety and staffing considerations. The prison guards would not be guaranteed a method of ensuring their own safety without collective bargaining rights. The administration at each site could change the staffing ratios, eliminate training, put workers in dangerous situations.
The inmates would suffer from this as well. Prison inmates generally eventually return to the population. If they are not given good care, treatment, and training while incarcerated, then they will be more likely to reoffend, return to prison, and end up costing the state even more money.
I sat there for 2 hours, listening to assembly men and women talk passionately about their prisons, and the prisonguards who run them, then the giggling, teetering republicans voted unanimously to table every ammendment.

I used to have respect for these people. This is not funny, it is not a game, Scott Walker thinks that he can use our state as his launch pad into tea party valhalla, but he is wrong. I will do everything in my power to bring him down. I will camp out at the capitol, I will protest his sponsors, I will write letters, I will get arrested if the Assembly Dems think it will help -I offered, and they told me not to-
I will work night and day everyday to ensure that the whole state and the whole nation knows the truth about the crimes being committed here against the citizens of Wisconsin. These assemblymen will not be re elected. Their names are on this bill, they are also to blame for it; I have witnessed their crimes and they must be accountable.

If the budget 'repair' bill passes, the next step is a general strike.

3 comments:

Jen said...

It's interesting that the major portion of the budget shortfall was caused by the immediate corporate tax break that was pushed through during Walker's first week in office...

I do have to say: careful, Valerie... you might offend half the ward with these blog posts. :)

Dayna said...

Valerie,
I am not a WI-nite, but the US is watching... But, I have to say, I disagree with most of what is posted (although, giggling/taunting is childish)...
But, my understanding is that collective bargaining isn't at stake. What is at stake is forced payment of union dues inside or outside the union; collective bargaining of benefits (*NOT* wages); and a requirement that a union be re-affirmed annually. That doesn't mean they can't exist. And, teachers, prision officials, etc, can still choose annually to collectively bargain their wage.

Also, do you really think, without a union, teachers like Mrs. O, Mr. K, Mrs. Hoch*, Mr. Lyn*, etc would be out of a job? I think they would be paid better! If teachers are afraid they will lose their job without the union, then what do they think about the job they are doing? If they are doing it well, they will be employed. It isn't a loser situation for our children or our tax payers. If teachers want higher wages, the way to go about it is to do their job well and work toward charter schools and the like. Monopolized public school systems don't do anyone any favors.
...
Just saying. That is how the other side is seeing this. (your libertarian friend...)

Valerie said...

I have heard a similar argument from republicans, I was even able to sit on on the debate on the assembly floor.
I guess the argument is that limiting unions will make them weak, and unions are the only way to really hold management accountable for workplace safety.

You can have a different opinion, but one we can probably all agree on; Gov. Walker is a jerk. He pushed through this bill without the usual procedures. He does have a larger agenda, as he revealed to the fake David Koch, and he has refused to even talk to assembly Democrats since proposing the bill. The filibuster session is not unreasonable when you take all of this into account.

Thanks for your input.
your increasingly progressive friend, Valerie