Wednesday, February 16, 2011

political action!

Governor Walker has recently proposed removing collective bargaining rights for all Wisconsin State employees. This includes the Teachers' Union. The Madison School district is taking a day or two off to protest this, and I am in support of their actions.

I cannot, with 4 children, brave the capitol square to join in the protest, but I can have my children write letters. Also, letter writing is an educational activity.

I explained the situation as basically being "The teachers do not think that this is a fair way to be treated, so they are protesting" My kids understand the basics, and have been writing and drawing pictures.

Some may criticize this as using my kids to echo my own political ideas, but just by being my kids they are exposed to me and my influence. Which they will probably eventually adopt as their own until they are mature enough to either embrace or reject my ideas for their own.

Plus, many adults get involved in politics without more than a child's understanding of the issues. Many right wing republican/ libertarian commentators act like children, so why should actual children be left behind?!

If you wish to write letters to our governor, here is his address;

Office of Governor Scott Walker
115 East Capitol
Madison WI 53702

1 comment:

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.